The Civil Society Leadership Awards (CSLA) provides fully-funded scholarships for master’s degree study to individuals who clearly demonstrate academic and professional excellence and a deep commitment to leading positive social change in their communities.
CSLA grantees will receive financial and administrative support for the following: Pre-academic preparation via summer schools; Program-related travel; Tuition and mandatory university fees; Monthly stipend for room, board, and other living expenses; Accident and sickness insurance during the program; Funds for educational materials and professional development; Attendance at a regional Scholarship Programs conference; and Accommodations during the application process and the duration of the grant for applicants with disabilities.
Interested applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate maturity, flexibility and civil society leadership potential;
- Have an earned bachelor’s degree as of May 15, 2018 with an excellent academic record;
- Demonstrate professional experience related to your chosen field of study;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction (English, German or French) at a level required for admission by host universities;
- Be able to participate in an intensive pre-academic summer school in July or August 2019 and start their degree program in August or September 2019;
- Be able to receive and maintain a visa or study permit as required by the host country; and
- Demonstrate a clear commitment to their home country or region in supporting open society development.
Awards are available to citizens of the following countries: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cambodia, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Laos, Libya, Myanmar/Burma, Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria*, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
For more information: If you have further questions, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions.
Interested applicants must complete an online or paper CSLA application and submit along with supporting documentation to be considered for CSLA support.
Online Application : All candidates are strongly encouraged to apply online if possible using Submittable, an online platform. To apply online, please register on Submittable and then follow instructions.
Paper Application: Paper applications may be accessed here. Please download the application form in Word before completing or printing, and review the accompanying materials before submitting your application.
Applications are due: May 15th, 2018