Toms Krumins (LL.M)
PhD Scholar / Research Fellow
International Private Law
Certificate of Attendance, Advanced summer courses in international commercial arbitration and international investment arbitration (International Academy for Arbitration Law, Paris, France, scholarship recipient, 2017)
Certificate of Attendance, Summer Courses on Private International Law (The Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague, the Netherlands, 2015)
PhD Cand. in International Private Law (University of Copenhagen and Riga Graduate School of Law, from 2015)
LL.M. (cum laude) in International and Comparative Private Law (University of Groningen, the Netherlands, 2014)
LL.B. in European and International Law (Maastricht University, European Law School, the Netherlands, 2013)
- PhD Fellow, Riga Graduate School of Law and University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Law, from 2015
- Of counsel, law firm “Cobalt”, from 2015
- Liaison officer at the Latvian presidency of the Council of the European Union, 2014-2015
- Associate lawyer, law firm Raidla Lejins & Norcous, Riga, Latvia, 2014-2015
Toms Krūmiņš is a PhD scholar in a joint programme between Riga Graduate School of Law and the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.
His research mainly focuses on the court involvement in international commercial arbitration proceedings, in particular, the setting aside proceedings as a necessary element for the guarantee of parties’ procedural human rights.
His PhD thesis “Arbitration and Human Rights – Absence of a Mechanism for Setting Aside Arbitral Awards as a Violation of the European Convention on Human Rights” explores the relationship between procedural human rights and international commercial arbitration, and seeks to establish whether a complete absence of setting aside proceedings in national arbitration law or parties’ autonomy to exclude the application of setting aside proceedings may lead to a violation of the European Convention of Human Rights.
- Toms Krūmiņš, ‘Arbitration in Latvia: A Cautionary Tale?‘ (2017) 34 Journal of International Arbitration, Issue 2, pp. 303–331.
- Krūmiņš T. Eiropas Savienības Tiesas secinājumi Gazprom lietā. Jurista Vārds, 09.06.2015., Nr. 23 (875), 10.-15.lpp.
- Krūmiņš T. „Šķīrējtiesas izņēmums Briseles režīmā” – Jurista Vārds, 07.10.2014., No. 39 (841), pp. 20-28