Art Nouveau building
Alberta iela 13 was designed by Mikhail Eizenstein and constructed in 1904-1905 in the highly decorative manner of Art Nouveau, which represents the main architectural heritage of Riga. The whole central area of the city is registered on the UNESCO World heritage list. The building is located on the corner of Alberta and Strelnieku iela, a district which boasts some of the most beautiful architecture in Riga and is home to many Embassies.
In 1998 the Riga Graduate School of law (RGSL) became the owner of Alberta iela 13 and restored it to its former glory. The building has been fully renovated. The interior of the building has been upgraded to include automatic heating, new plumbing, electricity and ventilation. All water and sewage systems have been completely changed. All this has been achieved whilst simultaneously retaining and restoring the Art Nouveau interior. Over 40 tile stoves were dismantled piece-by-piece, ornate ceiling and wall decorations carefully removed and are putted back in their original locations.
All offices have modern amenities simultaneously retaining and restoring the historic interior in a century old historical building, one of the masterpieces of Riga Art Nouveau.
A new modern extension wing is constructed in courtyard of the building.
All offices have modern amenities simultaneously retaining and restoring the historic interior in a century old historical building, one of the masterpieces of Riga Art Nouveau. New modern extension wing is constructed in courtyard of the building.
Description of the offices
Special design – fully renovated Art Nouveau building, parquet floors, threefold windows, tile stoves
- General ventilation system of the building with air conditioning
- WC – fully equipped
- Electronic door locks
- Guarding, video monitoring and alarm systems
- Guarded parking area across the street
- Computer network
- 5 external telephone lines (additional lines available on request)
Fully equipped conference facilities are available to our tenants for special prices.
History of the Building
Riga is famous for its Art Nouveau buildings. And the finest example is the one at Alberta iela 13. The late 19th and early 20th century Art Nouveau style brought together all the visual arts. But, more than that, it gave architecture a new creative impulse – design of buildings both artistically expressive and beautiful, useable and practically planned.
Its decorative aspects were not of prime importance to Art Nouveau but were far from excluded. In its first phase of development some architects saw Art Nouveau basically only in terms of effective ornamentation. The result: building fasades whose regular, rhythmic, fragmented structure characterised the earlier Eclecticism style, with the historical decoration replaced by a generous use of the fashionable decorative forms of Art Nouveau. Characteristic motifs ranged from stylised flowers, masks – laughing, screaming, melancholy or thoughtful, sculpted figures and tangles of waving curves, down to simple geometric shapes. All this symbolised the spirit of the age, with its intensity of moods, urgency and rapid pace of development.
Amongst those designed in the eclectic and decorative Art Nouveau manner was the house at Alberta iela 13, a residential building designed by Mikhail Eisenstein (father of the film director Sergei) and built in 1904 for a state councillor by the name of Lebedinsky. Evidently a very wealthy man, Lebedinsky also built apartment houses designed by Eisenstein at Alberta iela 4 (in 1904) and 6 (in 1903) and at Elizabetes iela 10b (in 1903). The fasades of all these houses provide a spectacular display of Art Nouveau ornamental sculpture. It seems the creative imagination of this architect knew no bounds.
The design for the apartment building at Alberta iela 13 was approved by Riga City Board of Building on 8th June, 1904, and around Christmas the building was already roofed over. At the same time the city building inspector noted that the foundations projected 10 inches (25.4 cm) beyond the specified limit of the building plot, so that Eisenstein had, according to the inspector’s report “grabbed about 2 fathoms (over 8 m²) of city land”. For this he was fined 100 roubles per fathom – though it seems Eisenstein may have avoided paying! Decoration was competed in 1905 and in November of that year the house was connected to the city sewerage system. On 13th November 1906 the building inspector reported that the house was complete, although not in accordance with the approved design, overstepping the limits of the building plot. However, on 26th April the Board of Building reported that construction was finished “in accordance with the building regulations and design”.
In the 1920s and 30s the building housed the Political Department. After the Second World War it became the headquarters of the Soviet border guard. In 1996 it was bought by the Soros Foundation Latvia and in 1998 donated to the Riga Graduate School of Law. Renovation, carried out by the building firm Velve, architectural bureau Sarma & Norde, and the American Construction Group (ACG) included complete restoration of the lavish interior decoration with its great variety of stucco mouldings, murals and about 40 tile stoves.
So far, the house at Alberta iela 13 is the only fully restored and publicly accessible Art Nouveau building in Riga – a splendid gift to a metropolis of Art Nouveau.