On 11 December 2020, Riga Graduate School of Law will host the online conference "On our way to 2030: delivering for resilient and prosperous societies".
The conference will provide the opportunity to discuss the most relevant issues within the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) and Central Asian region through an interdisciplinary approach. The conference intends to facilitate debates at various levels by engaging experts from the regions, high-level politicians, diplomats and civil society representatives.
Programme of the conference
“On our way to 2030: delivering for resilient and prosperous societies”
Riga Graduate School of Law, Strēlnieku iela 4 k-2, Riga
Room W-42, 4th floor and online via Zoom platform
Friday, 11 December 2020
All indicated times are Latvian (GMT+2)
10:30 – 10:35 Opening speech by Dr. Pietro Sullo, Rector of the Riga Graduate School of Law
10:35 – 10:45 Speech by Dr. Zanda Kalniņa-Lukaševica, Parliamentary Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia
10:45 – 10:50 Speech by H.E. Kristian Ødegaard, Ambassador of the Kingdom of Norway to the Republic of Latvia
10:50 – 12:10 Panel session I: The Role of Good Governance, Rule of Law and Public Administration Reform
Moderator: Dr. Jānis Ikstens, Chairman of the Board of Riga Graduate School of Law
• Peter Goldschmidt, Director of the European Centre for Judges and Lawyers, EIPA’s Centre in Luxembourg
• Lolita Čigāne, International Consultant in Good Governance, Election and EU Affairs
• Mārtiņš Krieviņš, Regional manager EU Neighbourhood East, SIGMA, OECD
12:10 – 12:30 Coffee break
12:30 – 12:45 Keynote speech by Jutta Urpilainen, European Commissioner for International Partnerships
12:45 – 14:00 Panel session II: Sustainable Economic Development as The Cornerstone for Regional Stability
Moderator: Dr. Kārlis Bukovskis, Deputy Director of the Latvian Institute of International Affairs
• Jānis Mažeiks, Under-Secretary of State, Political Director of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia
• Inna Šteinbuka, Professor at University of Latvia, Former Head of the European Commission in Latvia
• Juergen Klaus, Team Lead of Funding & Investor Relations Derivatives and Market Intelligence at the European Stability Mechanism
14:00 – 14:55 Lunch break
14:55 – 15:00 Honorary video address by the Director of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, Michael O’Flaherty
15:00 – 16:15 Panel session III: Importance of Fundamental Rights in a Democratic Society
Moderator: Dr. Pietro Sullo, Rector of the Riga Graduate School of Law
• Dr. Ineta Ziemele, Judge at the Court of Justice of the European Union
• Dr. Jan Zobec, Judge at the Constitutional Court of Slovenia
• Dilfuza Kurolova, Legal Consultant in the Europe and CIS programme at the International Commission of Jurists
16:15 – 16:30 Closing remarks by Dr. Pietro Sullo, Rector of the Riga Graduate School of Law
The Advanced and Intensive Programmes in European Law and Economics are short-duration training programmes, developed for professionals coming from the European Neighbourhood Policy Countries, Central Asia and the Western Balkans. Both Programmes provide a knowledge transfer that is based on the experience of Latvia and other donors in their international relations.
The event is organised in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Norway.
The working language of the conference is English, the event will take place online. The streaming will be available on the website and Facebook pages of the Riga Graduate School of Law.