Project title: Jean Monnet Chair - EU@RGSL - “Excellence in EU Studies at Riga Graduate School of Law”
Jean Monnet Chair holder: Professor of Riga Graduate School of Law Dr.Ilze Rūse
With support of the EU Erasmus+ funding for Jean Monnet activities, RGSL will run the project for three years in promoting excellence in teaching EU studies at RGSL, hence the logo – EU@RGSL.
In more than 20 years since its establishment the RGSL has accumulated expertise and academic excellence to become one of the prominent universities in Latvia and the Baltic States in offering EU studies. Now it is a right time to further promote excellence in EU studies by implementing its first project for Jean Monnet Chair. The project will facilitate and enhance the existing accumulated academic expertise and allow to use to full capacity of the academic staff to increase the focus on the EU integration and EU law in RGSL curricula.
Jean Monnet chair holder Prof.Ilze Ruse has joined the RGSL in 2009 and became the professor in 2019. She has extensive practical experience with the EU issues while working at various positions at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia.
Main teaching activities under the Jean Monnet chair grant:
- Training the Master degree students, young professionals and stakeholders in Latvia in EU Politics and Decision Making;
- Teaching at short duration Intensive programme for young professionals of countries in transition;
- Teaching at Advanced programme in EU Law, Economy and Rule of Law;
- During the three years of project duration the Jean Monnet Chair holder will develop innovative teaching methods for EU studies at RGSL, i.e. an online teaching modules.
Jean Monnet Chair aims to further improve the teaching methods, including innovation in teaching in this programme, like EU Council negotiation simulations and other practical tasks based on realistic case studies. This will contribute to the employment possibilities and career development and profficency in EU issues of the programme participants. This is particularly important in the run-up of Latvia’s next EU Council Presidency in 2028.
With the implementation of the project we aim:
- To promote and deepen RGSL’s specialization in EU studies;
- To increase the visibility of RGSL as an outstanding university in offering EU Law and Politics in the Baltic region;
- To develop new innovative teaching methods at RGSL;
- To galvanise synergies between the academic and practical approaches in EU studies in preparing the course participants for better career opportunities;
- To transfer knowledge and support reforms in Latvia’s partner countries in the Eastern Neighbourhood, Central Asia, Western Balkans and others.
Jean Monnet Chair at RGSL interim results for 2020/2021 academic year
Seminar on the EU Council negotiations in the Jean Monnet project framework