PhD cand. in International and European Law (Copenhagen University)
LL.M in EU Law (RGSL and Copenhagen Business School, 2002)
Master of Law, State and Administrative Law (University of Latvia, 2001)
Dipl. Iur (University of Latvia, 2000)
Significant Professional Experience
- 2013 - present Member of the EU Advisory Group on Access to Environmental Justice
- 2012 - currently, Riga Graduate School of Law, Visiting Lecturer
- 2018 – Arbitrator in the Specialized Panel of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (Hague)
- 2013 Latvian Judicial Training Centre, Lecturer
- 2000–2005, 2007–2011, 2014-2015 Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development, Parliamentary Secretary (2004-2005 and 2009-2011); Deputy State Secretary in EU Affairs (2014-2015)
- 2005–2007, EU Commission, DG Environment, Legal expert on access to justice in environmental matters
- 2005–2011 Vice chair of the Aarhus Convention Bureau, UN/ECE, Geneva
- Access to Justice in Environmental Matters (EU and International Environmental Law)
- Locus standi in European Union Member States
- Locus standi and the Principle of Separation of Powers in EU Member States and the US
- Water Protection Legislation in EU and Latvia
- Regulation of circulation of Genetically Modified Organisms in EU.
- Research on the rights and obligations in water management in light of the requirements of EU and Latvian law. (publication pending in 2019)
- Ž.Mikosa “Implementation of the Aarhus Convention through actio popularis,” in: Procedural Environmental Rights: Principle X in Theory and Practice / edited by Jerzy Jendroska and Magdalena Bar, pp. 261–285. Intersentia, Cambridge – Antwerp – Portland, 2017.
- Ž.Mikosa “Property and Environmental Protection in Latvia”, in: Property and Environmental Protection in Europe, G. Winter (ed.), Europa Law Publishing, 2016, pp.210-223
- Ž.Mikosa Ģenētiski modificēto organismu aprites normatīvais regulējums un aprites ierobežošanas iespējas Latvijā un Eiropas Savienībā.” [Circulation of genetically modified organisms and rights to limit GMO within Latvia and EU] Juridiskās zinātnes aktuālās problēmas. Zvaigzne, 2012.
- Ž.Mikosa “Aarhus Convention and Building law – Participation in building procedure” Politika.lv (the public policy site), 26 April 2013.
- Co-author “Comments to EU Accession Act”, ed. by M.Brizgo and L.Medina. Riga, 2003, Tiesu Nama Aģentūra.
- I.Čepāne, Ž.Matijesku “Latvijas normatīvo aktu atbilstība Orhusas konvencijai.” [Approximation of legislation of Latvia to the Aarhus Convention]. Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences, 2002, 57(4/5), pp. 42–49.